Breaking in Docs is spectacularly difficult; however, I can assure you that it’s well worth the time and effort of doing so.
So, in this guide, I will teach you how to break in Doc Martens. In the case of simply how long it will take to break in Docs, this can differ as it is based on the person and model.
However, using my tips and instructions on how to break in Docs, it should only take a day or two to do so.
You also need to make sure that you get it right because it might take a couple of months if you get it wrong.
This means you need to take your time and fully understand how this is done. Now, let’s dive in.
Let’s talk briefly about Doc Martens. For ages, Doc Martens boots, which are thoughtfully commonly referred to as “Docs,” have been the popular shoe choice.
These shoes are exceptional, thanks to the fact that the leather of each pair in due course molds to your foot.
And they then become extremely comfortable. These fashion boots keep gaining popularity.
They are stylish, easy to wear, and can also withstand the harshest weather conditions.
How Do I Break In My Docs?
You need to keep in mind that breaking in your Doc Martens will require time and patience, but this is something everyone goes through.
Read through to find out the ways to make this possible and for it to go smoothly. I’ve got your back on this.
Get the Perfect Fit
- I suggest sizing down if you typically take a half-size. Your boots are expected to feel tight, but not uncomfortable.
- Your boot is too small if it feels uncomfortable when you wear it, particularly in the width. Doc Martens will soften and stretch as you wear them.
Take Out the Wonder Balsam
- If you own a pair of Doc Martens, Dr. Marten’s Wonder Balsam is a shoe care product that you must have.
- This small pot of gold has in it a mix of beeswax, coconut oil, lanolin, and a sponge for application.
- So, what you are to do here is set it in, and in turn, it will help you soften the leather. Make sure this is done regularly.
- Furthermore, it adds a protective layer and an exquisite glow to your boots.
Put On Thick Socks and Keep Your Laces Tight
- By putting on thick socks, your feet will be protected. It will also allow the leather to warm up, which in turn will quicken the softening process.
- Always make sure that your laces are tight, as this will allow the boot to mold to your foot and keep it from rubbing.
- Get your Double Doc socks. They are manufactured to help break in a pair of Docs with blister protection and extra padding.
If They Are Brand New, Start With 1-2 Hour Intervals
- For short periods of time, I suggest you start wearing your Docs around the house.
- For the first time you wear them, avoid wearing them to a festival or long walk.
- Some leathers happen to stretch faster compared to others. Some perfect soft leather options include Virginia, Nappa, and Carpathian.
Repeat Until They Are Perfect
- Until your boots are soft and shaped to your foot, I strongly suggest that you follow the instructions above.
Frequently Asked Questions about How to Break In Doc Martens
What Size of Docs Should I Buy?
You should keep in mind that Doc Martens do not have half sizes. So, as stated above, I suggest you buy the size below if you are a half-size.
In general, they are true to size. So your Docs should be tight when you are trying them on, but not uncomfortable.
Additionally, try your Docs on with your preferred sock choice. And as mentioned above, go for extra-thick socks.
And, also, be careful when it comes to the width of your Doc Martens.
You practically don’t want your Docs to be too snug in the width, as this happens to be the hardest part of the shoe to stretch out.
Are Dr. Martens Comfortable?
Dr. Martens normally becomes more comfortable over time, but this is based on your personal comfort levels.
You might want to choose a pair of insoles to take you through the day or double up on socks, given the fact that their design is centered on being a solid and hard-wearing shoe.
Do Dr. Martens Stretch?
Over time, Dr. Martens do stretch, and this is the same for all pairs of leather shoes.
Before anything else, you might actually find the shoes to be a little tighter, so ensure that you follow my instructions and tips on how to break in.
How Long Do Dr. Martens Last?
Normally, Doc Martens last at least 5 years, but they can last up to 20 years due to their great durability and quality construction.
However, you also need to know that the amount of time your Docs lasts is based on the level of care and love you show and give.
How often you wear your Docs and what you wear them for are also determinants.
How Do I Apply The Wonder Balsam To My Docs?
Before you do, you need to ensure that you clean any dirt or debris from your Docs. So, you can do that by gently wiping them down with a washcloth.
After that, using the given sponge, set in a small amount of wonder balsam into the leather.
Then, make sure you pay attention to the seams and the easily creased areas. Allow the balm to dry for 5 minutes. After that, you are good to go.
Do Dr. Martens Do Half Sizes?
Dr. Martens provides whole sizes for most boots and sizes. Although half sizes might be available for some designs, such as the 1460 boot or the 1461 shoe.
It can sometimes be a bit of a difficult task to find the perfect size for those who fall under the half-size category.
This is why I suggest that, for comfortable wear, sizing down is the best option. Although you can also size up and add a good insole.
Doc Martens is a design staple that I just never want to disappear, and fortunately, they seem to be here to stay.
Follow my instructions and tips carefully and properly, and break in them the right way.
This goes the same whether you prefer the Mary Jane style, Chunky Loafer Docs, or the Platform Docs.
Don’t lose in the rite of passage into your boots. Your feet deserve the best.
So, break into your Docs first, then go ahead and rock them anywhere you like.
This concludes this guide, as you now have the perfect guide on how to break in Doc Martens.