In this guide, you will learn how to make ripped jeans at home. The truth is that distressed denim has now become a popular style.
However, it can be quite costly when it comes to the purchase of already ripped jeans, which is why this guide is here to teach you how you can rip your jeans at home.
But, first, let’s ask the question of whether it is even possible to do this at home. Well, fortunately, you can make this popular style yourself at home.
And, all you would need to do is to rough up the fabric with the help of a piece of sandpaper. After that, you would need to snip a hole into the jeans using a pair of scissors.
However, you will need to read through to get the laid-out instructions on how you can perfectly make ripped jeans at home.
So, let’s get to it.
What Is Ripped Jeans?
Before you start learning how to rip your jeans at home, it would be wise to have a better understanding of what ripped jeans are.
Ripped jeans are what you have when you take your regular jeans, then proceed to add a few shreds, scrapes, rips, fades, and frays to them.
Ripped jeans were more of a part of the grime fashion movement. However, now it is a very popular and common style.
Even though it is not clear who started it, now you have almost everything ripped, which includes shorts, jackets, and, of course, jeans, and anything else you can name.
6 Essential Jean Ripping Tools
Since you want to learn how to make ripped jeans at home, there are still some tools you will need to make your ripped jeans.
And, I will be listing these required tools for the ripping of your jeans. They are as followed:
The first item on my list is cardboard. And all you would need to do is to insert the cardboard, just a small piece of it, into your jeans.
You are to make sure that it is positioned between the front and back leg panels, which will help prevent the mistake of you making a hole in the back of your jeans as you rip the front.
Next is chalk. Get some thick chalk and use it to mark the shape and place where you want to rip your jeans. Chalk is erasable with just water.
A knife and Scissors
The major tools for ripping jeans are a knife and a pair of scissors. The fabric will loosen with the help of the edge of the knife for the initial cut. Then, you can proceed to make use of the scissors to make the holes.
You would also need a ruler to help measure the length of the rips while you trace them out using the chalk.
Before you proceed to rip your denim, you would need to soften it, which is where sandpaper comes in.
The sandpaper will help loosen the fibers of the weave. However, you can make use of a pumice stone or cheese grater as an alternative to loosen the fabric, in the absence of sandpaper.
This is the last required tool for ripping jeans. However, it is optional. It helps to give your jeans a worn-in quality by giving them a frayed look.
You are to pull the ends of the ripped jeans using the tweezers, then proceed to add long, white threads.
How to Make Ripped Jeans – Laid-Out Instructions
Since this guide is all about how to make ripped at home. Well, it is time to get down to it. Making ripped jeans is not difficult if you are wondering.
This is something you can easily do with the tools you have at home already. In addition, all you just need is just a little bit of planning, practice, and patience.
Choose a Jeans
- The first step to this is even before you begin the process of ripping your jeans. You will have to select the jeans you want to use.
- I would suggest you go for something old but that also fits you well whether it fits or not. However, if you happen to be a beginner, you should probably go for jeans that you have cut into shorts or probably jeans you won’t care for if anything goes wrong.
Bring All the Supplies You Will Need.
- After the selection of your jeans. The next thing for you to do is to get all the required supplies for the process.
- Since you want to rip your jeans, you would need to get the needed supplies to prevent you from having to run to the convenience store while you are in the process of ripping your jeans.
So, below will be what you need for the process.
Fabric Scissors or Utility Cutter Knife – which are for making holes and shreds.
Tweezers – These are for removing threads.
Razors or Scissors – These are used to make scrapes and frays.
Sandpaper or Pumice Stone – This is to give your jeans a distressed look.
Tailor’s Chalk, a Pen, or Just Marker – This is for making markings.
Begin By Making Marks On Your Jeans In Order To Rip Or Distress Them.
- Now, this is the third step, which also happens to be the most important aspect of the process as this is where people get to make mistakes, especially beginners.
- All you need to do is to decide where you want to rip your jeans, and then proceed to mark them. Make sure the markings are very clear.
- This is a very effective way to start the process of ripping your jeans. Now, let’s continue with the details on how you can perfectly make ripped jeans at home.
Start Ripping (Distressing)
- Now, this is another big step, which is where you start to rip or distress your jeans. This aspect is also vital because you need to be sure of what you are doing.
- This is when the markup is over, and you need to start ripping or distressing your jeans, which will then take us to the last step of the process.
You can now proceed to the finishing touches, which are done when you are done with the process. It is done to make sure that what you’ve done is neat and not sloppy.
Final Thoughts: How To Make Ripped Jeans At Home
Now, this is a bit of a tricky aspect. Get the scissors or probably go for a pen knife, as it is best suited for its extreme precision.
Then, you are to scrape down the length of the jeans using the edge and not the tip of either your scissors or the penknife.
This is to be done horizontally in the areas where you want to make the rips. And, when you start to see the white threads, you are to stop the scraping.
Afterward, you are to get your tweezers, then fray the threads, and do this occasionally. You can also proceed to cut the threads using your scissors or penknife if you want holes in your jeans.
And, lastly, you are to rough up some other areas where wear and tear would naturally occur, like the pockets, ankles, or down the sides. You are to do this using your sandpaper, pumice stone, or grater.
With all that being said, I’m sure you now fully know how to make ripped jeans at home using this guide.